Hi Shaun,

you create the SolrServer using multicore by just adding the core to the
URL. You don't need to add anything with SolrQuery.

URL url = new URL(new URL(solrBaseUrl), coreName);
CommonsHttpSolrServer server = new CommonsHttpSolrServer(url);

Concerning the "default" core thing - I wouldn't know about that.

Cheers,
Chantal