thanks for replying erick,

We are currently using dismax but for this particular client we have coupled
their implementation to standard parser and will be difficult to switch,
although i might just have to bite the bullet for this.

"which you can do without dismax BTW, although you have to interpret the
user's input"

This is doing it by the _val_: hack within the q param correct? Or do you
mean by having the query (i_authors:tilly^5 i_title:tilly^10) etc?

 How would i do it to say boost title by 5 - is that even possible within a
function query?

i will try just giving some crazy boost values to the most important fields
and hope that it improves the problem.

joe