Adding &debugQuery=on produced the following:
<str name="rawquerystring">+edge:testing +edge:lots</str>
   <str name="querystring">+edge:testing +edge:lots</str>
      <str name="parsedquery">
           +PhraseQuery(edge:"te tes test testi testin testing")
+PhraseQuery(edge:"lo lot lots")

So one part of the answer is that multiple terms are broken up into multiple
phrase
queries, one phrase for each term. This is with LowerCaseTokenizerFactory
and
EdgeNGramFilterFactory

So I don't see any reason why your query shouldn't work. Could you provide
your
field type definitions, an example document that you think should be found
and query output with &debugQuery=on?

Best
Erick