You're right for the general case. I should have added that our setup is
perhaps a little bit out of the ordinary in that we send explicit commits to
solr as part of our indexing app.
Once a commit has finished we're sure all docs until then are present in
solr. For us it's much more difficult to do the way you suggested bc we
index into several embedded solr shards, etc. It can be done it's just not
convienient. But for the general case I admit querying all ids as a
post-process is probably the more elegant and robust way.