Erick Erickson wrote:

> SOLR uses Lucene, so I'd expect that putting your index files on a share
> isn't any more robust under SOLR than Lucene....
>
> Sounds to me like your network's glitchy.

Except that with Lucene we had separate processes searching and indexing
directly against the files over the network, so it wouldn't be possible to
have any centralized locking logic beyond NTFS.

Solr is different in that indexing and searching requests go through Solr
and are passed to Lucene through the same process.  This is why it sounds
plausible to me that Solr could handle storing the index files on a network
share.

Originally I blamed the network too.  But given that other apps that are
using the same file server are working fine, and that we have this problem
across completely separate networks (ie, different clients of ours that have
completely different infrastructures), I don't think that it is the network.

Does anyone else store their Solr index on a file share, or NAS or SAN or
anything other than a local disk?