On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree it's mainly API wise, but there are other issues - largely due
> to Lucene right now - consider the bugs that have been dug up this year
> on the 4.x line because flex has been such a large rewrite deep in
> Lucene. We wouldn't do flex on the 3.x stable line and it's taken a
> while for everything to shake out in 4.x (and it's prob still swaying).

Right.  That big difference also has implications for the 3.x line too
though - possible backports of new features like field collapsing or
per-segment faceting that involve the flex API would involve a good
amount of re-writing (along with the introduction of new bugs).  I'd
put my money on 4.0-dev being actually *more* stable for these new
features.

-Yonik
http://lucenerevolution.org  Lucene/Solr Conference, Boston Oct 7-8