It is quite easy to modify its default value. Solr is using default
logging values that started to use in jvm. It can be bound as a start
parameter or can be externally defined in
../tomcat/conf/logging.properties.

Simply it is enough to remove all contents (backup first) in
../tomcat/conf/logging.properties and write .level = SEVERE

This change will make root checkbox from unset to severe. Of course
you can switch it to WARNING or INFO too.

You can observe changes from http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/logging
or simply ~/admin/logging  pages.

Details are here:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/Logging_Tutorial