Do you have any other Analyzers or Formatters involved? I use delimiters in
certain string fields all the time. Usually a colon ":" or slash "/" but
should be the same for a period. I've never seen this behavior. But if you
have any kind of tokenizer or formatter involved beyond
    <fieldType name="string" class="solr.StrField" sortMissingLast="true"
omitNorms="true" />
then you may be introducing something extra to the party.

What does your fieldType definition look like?