As it turns out, the problem is not trivial in general, and shoehorning it into an existing search system nicely is also not simple. I think the current spatial stuff is the third go-round on doing GIS in Lucene/Solr.

PeterKerk wrote:
It would be such a shame if there's no way to get it now
already...particularly in today's online services, geolocation is one of the
hottest things there is, I definitely hope this feature gets major priority
over other features.

Also same question as Dennis: whats the timeline on this feature? Or even a
way to get it running in the current release?