: I was wondering what would be the best FieldType for storing date with a
: millisecond precision that would allow me to sort and run range queries
: against this field. We would like to achieve the best query performance,
: minimal heap - fieldcache - requirements, good indexing throughput and
: minimal index size in that order.

if you don't need sortMissingLast or sortMissingFirst then TrieDateField
should be exactly what you are looking for.

: We could probably use TrieLongField, however, as we understand, this
: doubles the heap requirements for fieldcache. Was wondering if there is
: a clever way of achieving this without adding to the heap.

TrieDateField uses the long[] FieldCache, I'm not sure what you mean by
"doubles the heap requirements" ... unless you are comparing to "int" ?

In that case: using TrieIntField seems like what you want?

(but if you are comparing to DateField, the FieldCache for TrieDateField
is going to be a lot smaller)

-Hoss

--
http://lucenerevolution.org/  ...  October 7-8, Boston