This kind of thing is not limited to Solr and you normally wouldn't solve it in
software - it's more a network concern. I'd be looking at a web server solution
such as Apache mod_evasive combined with a good firewall for more conventional
DOS attacks. Just hide your Solr install behind the firewall and communicate
with it locally from your web application or whatever.

Rate limiting sounds like something Solr should or could provide but I don't
know the answer to that.

Cheers