Morning all,

I would like to ngram a company name field in our index. I have read about the
costs of doing so in the great David Smiley Solr 1.4 book and just to get
started I have followed his example in setting up an ngram field type as
follows:

                <fieldType name="text_substring" class="solr.TextField"
positionIncrementGap="100" stored="false" multiValued="true">
                        <analyzer type="index">
                                <tokenizer
class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
                                <filter class="solr.NGramFilterFactory"
minGramSize="4" maxGramSize="15" />
                        </analyzer>
                        <analyzer type="query">
                                <tokenizer
class="solr.StandardTokenizerFactory" />
                        </analyzer>
                </fieldType>

I have restarted/reindexed everything but I still cannot search

hoot

and get back the company named Shooter. searching shooter is fine.

I have followed other examples on the internet regards an ngram field type.
Some examples seem to use an index analyzer that has an ngram tokenizer rather
than filter if this makes a difference. But in all cases I am not seeing the
expected result, just 0 results.

Is there anything else I should be considering here? I feel like I must be very
close, it doesn't seem complicated but yet it's not working like everything
else I have done with solr to date :)

Any guidance appreciated,

Allistair