Juggling disk volumes does not sound like a logical responsibility for Solr to
me. Solr/Lucene expects to have enough room to live in.
Better to push this down to the OS level. There are all kinds of logical volume
managers around which lets you add new disks to the same logical volume,
achieving what you want. Or if you run on a cloud architecture, you may
increase disk with a couple of API calls triggered by monitoring...

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com