Well, always get the biggest, fastest machine you can <G>...

On a serious note, you're right, there's not much info to go
on here. And even if there were more info, Solr performance
depends on how you search your data as well as how much
data you have...

About the only way you can really tell is to set your system
up and use the admin>>statistics page to monitor your
system. In particular, monitor your cache evictions etc.

This page may also help:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceFactors

Best
Erick