2010/10/20 Dennis Gearon <gear...@sbcglobal.net>

> Thre's approximately a 100% chance that you are going to go through a
> server side langauge(php, ruby, pearl, java, VB/asp/,net[cough,cough]),
> before you get to Solr/Lucene. I'd recommend it anyway.

I use a server side language (Ruby) as I build the web application.

> This code will should look at the user's browser locale (en_US, pl_PL,
> es_CO, etc). The server side langauge would then choose wich language to
> search by and display.

As I said, I may provide locale as an addition to the search query.

> NOW, that being said, are you going to have the exact same content for all
> langauges, just translated? The temptation would be to translate to a common
> language like English, then do the search, then get the translation. I
> wouln'dt recommend it, but I'm no expert. Translation of single words can be
> OK, but mulitword ideas and especially sentences doesn't work so well that
> way.

I would like not to yield that temptation. I know that Solr/Lucene can work
with many lanugages and I think is has a purpose - like languages' semantic
diversity. Whats more, you often don't translate things literally even if
they are just translations.

> you probably will have separate content for that reason, AND another.
> Different cultures are interested in different things and only have common
> ground on cetain things like international news (but with different
> opinions) and medical news. So different content for differnt cultures
> speaking different languages.

I need to treat each culture separetly regarding the subject of query.

> Are you tryihg to address differnt languages in some place like the US or
> Great Britain, with LOTS of different languages spoken in minority cultures?
> Only then would you want a geographically centered server and information
> gathering organization. If you were going to have search for other
> countries, then I'd recommend those resources be geogrpahically close to
> their source culture.

No I am not trying to address miniority cultures.

Thanks for answer,
Jakub Godawa.

Dennis Gearon