Forgot to add,
3/ The external, application code selects the GROUPS that the user has
permission to read (Solr will only serve up what is to be read?) then search on
those groups.

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a
better idea to learn from others’ mistakes, so you do not have to make them
yourself. from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
  otherwise we all die.