I started to upgrade my slave servers from 1.4.1 to 3.1-dev checked out this morning. Because of SOLR-2034 (new javabin version) the replication fails.

Asking about it in comments on SOLR-2034 brought up the suggestion of switching to XML instead of javabin, but so far I have not been able to figure out how to do this. I filed a new Jira (SOLR-2204) on the replication failure.

Is there any way (through either a config change or minor code changes) to make the replication handler use XML? If I have to make small edits to the 1.4.1 source as well as 3.1, that would be OK.

Thanks,
Shawn