On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Ron Mayer <r...@0ape.com> wrote:

> If I want to move a core from one physical machine to another,
> is it as simple as just
>   scp -r core5 otherserver:/path/on/other/server/
> and then adding
>    <core name="core5name" instanceDir="core5" />
> on that other server's solr.xml file and restarting the server there?
>

> PS: Should have I been able to figure the answer to that
>    out by RTFM somewhere?

Ron,

In our current environment I index all of our data on one machine, and to
save time with "replication", I use scp to copy the data directory over to
our other servers. On the server that I copy from, I don't turn SOLR off,
but on the servers that I copy to, I shutdown tomcat; remove the data
directory; mv the data directory I scp'd from the source; turn tomcat back
on. I do it this way (especially with mv, versus cp) because it is the
fastest way to get the data on the other servers. And, as Gora pointed out,
you need to make sure that your configuration files match (specifically the
schema.xml) the source.

- Ken