On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> having two fields named 'type' and 'cat' with identical type and options,
> but different values recorded, would it be possible to query them as they
> were one field?
> For instance
>  q=type:electronics cat:electronics
> should return same results as
>  q=common:electronics
> I know I could make it defining a third field 'common' with copyFields from
> 'type' and 'cat' to 'common' but this wouldn't be feasible if you've
> already
> lots of documents in your index and don't want to reindex everything, isn't
> it?
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks in advance,
> Tommaso

Tommaso,

If re-indexing is not feasible/preferred, you might try looking into
creating a dismax handler that should give you what you're looking for in
your query: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxQParserPlugin. The same
solrconfig.xml that comes with SOLR has a dismax parser that you can modify
to your needs.

- Ken Stanley