>> and i index data on the basis of these fields. Now, incase i need to add a
new field, is there a way i can >> add the field without corrupting the
previous data. Is there any feature which adds a new field with a
>> default value to the existing records.

You just have to add the new field in the schema.xml to make Solr know about
it. All already indexed documents won't have any value into this field but
that doesn't break anything. If you want to give a default value you will
have to rebuild your index.

>> Is there any security mechanism/authorization check to prevent url like
>> /admin and /update to only a few users.
As far as I know there's no out of the box feature to do that