I'm finding that if a keyword appears in a field multiple times very close
together, it will get highlighted as a phrase even though there are other
terms between the two instances. So this search:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?

hl=true&
hl.snippets=1&
q=residue&
hl.fragsize=0&
mergeContiguous=false&
indent=on&
hl.usePhraseHighlighter=false&
debugQuery=on&
hl.fragmenter=gap&
hl.highlightMultiTerm=false

Highlights as:
What does "low-<em>residue" mean? Like low-residue</em> diet?

Trying to get it to highlight as:
I've tried playing with various combinations of mergeContiguous,
highlightMultiTerm, and usePhraseHighlighter, but they all yield the same
output.

For reference, field type uses a StandardTokenizerFactory and
SynonymFilterFactory, StopFilterFactory, StandardFilterFactory and
SnowballFilterFactory. I've confirmed that the intermediate words don't
appear in either the synonym or the stop words list. I can post the full
definition if helpful.

Any pointers as to how to debug this would be greatly appreciated!
sasank