Thanks Jan. I didn't know about 1.4.2 I'll give it a look. However, your link
is something I've already seen. I understand the different Solr versions, my
question was more on what is the process, and timeline, for the community to
turn the current trunk into a 'release'. From that link, and other forum
comments I basically have determined that 3.x is useless and will be
skipped. 4.x is an important advancement and highly anticipated.

I just wanted to know how/when 4.0 goes from " next major release (trunk in
svn)" to " latest officially stable release".