Ah, I thought I was going nuts. Thanks for clarifying about the Wiki.

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Jelsma [mailto:markus.jel...@openindex.io]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:11 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Spell Checker

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckerRequestHandler#Term_Source_Configur
> a tion
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpellCheckComponent#Use_in_the_Solr_Example
>

> I am looking in my solrconfig.xml and I see one is already in use. I am
> kind of confused by this because the recommended spell checker is not
> default in my Solr 1.4.1. I have read the documentation but am still fuzzy
> on what I should do.

Yes, the wiki on the request handler can be confusing indeed as it discusses

the spellchecker as a request handler instead of a component. Usually,
people
need the spellchecker just as a component in some request handler instead of
request handler specifically designed for only spellchecking. I'd forget
about
that wiki and just follow the spellcheck component wiki as it not only
describes the request handler but also the component, and it is being
maintained up to the most recent developments in trunk and branch 3.1.

> My site uses legal terms and as you can see, some terms don't jive with
the
> default spell checker so I was hoping to map the spell checker to the body
> for referencing dictionary words. I am unclear what approach I should take
> and how to start the quest.

Map the spellchecker to the body of what? I assume the body of your document

where the `main content` is stored. In that case, you'd just follow the wiki

on the component and create a spellchecking fieldType with proper analyzers
(the example allright) and define a spellchecking field that has the
spellcheck
fieldType as type (again, like in the example).

Then you'll need to configure the spellchecking component in your
solrconfig.
The example is, again, what you're looking for. All you need to map your
document's main body to the spellchecker is a copyField directive in your
schema which will copy your body field to the spellcheck field (which has
the
spellcheck fieldType).

The example on the component wiki page should work. Many features have been
added since 1.4.x but the examples should work as expected.