As I understand it, those tools are more Solr 1.3 related, but I don't
see why they shouldn't work on 1.4.

I would say it is very unlikely that you will corrupt an index with
them.

Lucene indexes are "write once", that is, any one index file will never
be updated, only replaced. This means that taking a backup is actually
exceptionally easy, as (on Unix at least) you can create a copy of the
index directory with hard links, which takes milliseconds, even for
multi-gigabyte indexes. You just need to make sure you are not
committing while you take your backup, and it looks like those tools
will take care of that for you.

Another perk is that your backups won't take any additional disk space
(just the space for the directory data, not the files themselves). As
your index changes, disk usage will gradually increase though.

Upayavira

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:13 +0100, "Rodolico Piero"