On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Robert Petersen <rober...@buy.com> wrote:
> My question is this.  Why in the world would all of my slaves, after
> running fine for some days, suddenly all at the exact same minute
> experience OOM heap errors and go dead?

If there is no change in query traffic when this happens, then it's
due to what the index looks like.

My guess is a large index merge happened, which means that when the
searchers re-open on the new index, it requires more memory than
normal (much less can be shared with the previous index).

I'd try bumping the heap a little bit, and then optimizing once a day
during off-peak hours.
If you still get OOM errors, bump the heap a little more.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com