when you went from strField to TextField in your config you enabled
tokenizing (which I believe splits on spaces by default),
which is why you see seperate 'words' / terms in the debugQuery-explanation.

I believe you want to keep your old strField config and try quoting:

fq=city:"den+haag" or fq=city:"den haag"

Concerning the lower-casing: wouldn't if be easiest to do that at the
client? (I'm not sure at the moment how to do lowercasing with a strField)
.

Geert-jan