Hey folks, I'm working with a fairly specific set of requirements for our corpus that needs a somewhat tricky text type for both indexing and searching.

The chain currently looks like this:

<filter class="solr.PatternReplaceFilterFactory"
               pattern="(.*?)(\p{Punct}*)$"
               replacement="$1"/>
<filter class="solr.StopFilterFactory"
                ignoreCase="true"
                words="stopwords.txt"
                enablePositionIncrements="true"
                />
<filter class="solr.SnowballPorterFilterFactory" language="English" protected="protwords.txt"/>
<filter class="solr.PatternReplaceFilterFactory"
               pattern="\p{Punct}"
               replacement=" "/>

Now you will notice that I'm trying to add in a second tokenizer to this chain at the very end, this is due to the final replacement of punctuation to whitespace. At that point I'd like to further break up these tokens to smaller tokens.

The reason for this is that we have a mixed normal english word and scientific corpus. For example you could expect string like "The symposium of Tg<The>(RX3fg+and) gene studies" being added to the index, and parts of those phrases being searched on.

We want to be able to remove the stopwords in the mostly english parts of these types of statements, which the whitespace tokenizer, followed by removing trailing punctuation, followed by the stopfilter takes care of. We do not want to remove references to genetic information contained in allele symbols and the like.

Sadly as far as I can tell, you cannot chain tokenizers in the schema.xml, so does anyone have some suggestions on how this could be accomplished?

Oh, and let me add that the WordDelimiterFilter comes really close to what I want, but since we are unwilling to promote our solr version to the trunk (we are on the 1.4x) version atm, the inability to turn off the automatic phrase queries makes it a no go. We need to be able to make searches on "left/right" match "right/left."

My searches through the old material on this subject isn't really showing me much except some advice on using the copyField attribute. But my understanding is that this will simply take your original input to the field, and then analyze it in two different ways depending on the field definitions. It would be very nice if it were copying the already analyzed version of the text... but that's not what its doing, right?

Thanks for any advice on this matter.

Matt