Although I access solr from rails by sunspot, the rails server runs on
heroku, so on a different machine. I prefer to have solr as stand
alone server and want to tell sunspot where it can find the running
solr.

I am quite new to chef, but if I can I could help with writing a
cookbook I would. If you have any suggestions how to start, what to
take care for, please let me know.

Best wishes,

   Georg