hello all,

I am a new user to Solr and I am having a few issues with the setup and
wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I am currently running this as
just a test environment before I go into production. I am using a
tomcat6 environment for my servlet and solr 1.4.1 as the solr build. I
set up the instructions following the guide here.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat    The issue that I am having is
that the memory usages seems high for the settings I have.

When i start the server I am using about 90MB of RAM which is fine and
from the google searches I found that is normal. The issue comes when I
start indexing data. In my solrconf.xml file that my maximum RAM buffer
is 32MB. In my mind that means that the maximum RAM being used by the
servlet should be 122MB, but increasing to 150MB isn't out of my reach.
When I start indexing data and calling searches my memory usages slowly
keeps on increasing. The odd thing about it is that when I reindex the
exact same data set the memory usage increases every time but no new
data has been entered to be indexed. I stopped increasing as I went over
350MB of RAM.

So my question in all of this is if this is normal and why the RAM
buffer isn't being observed? Are my expectations unreasonable and
flawed? Or could there be something else in my settings that is causing
the memory usage to increase like this.

Thanks for the help,

Cameron