On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Michael Owen <michaelowe...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using Solr and I've got a question about filtering on a lower
> level than filter queries.
> We want to be able to restrict the documents that can possibly be returned to
> a users query. From another system we'll get a list of document unique ids
> for the user which is all the documents that they can possibly see (i.e. a
> base index list as such). The criteria for what document ids get returned is
> going to be quite flexible. As the number of ids can be up to index size - 1
> (i.e. thousands) using a filter query doesn't seem right for entering a
> filter query which is so large.
> Can something be done at a lower level - perhaps at a Lucene level - as I
> understand Lucene starts from a bitset of possible documents it can return -
> could we AND this with a filter bitset returned from the other system? Would
> this be a good way forward?
> And then how would you do this in Solr with still keeping Solr's extra
> functionality it brings over Lucene. A new SearchHandler?

I actually submitted a patch a while ago in Solr-2052 that allows you
to specify a bit filter and a filter query (you could specify either,
but not both.)

Otis pointed out that the patch can't be applied against the current
source, so I need to go back and make it work with the current source
(new job = no time).  I'll see if I can find the time this weekend to
do this.

Steve
--
Stephen Green