We had a (short) thread on this late last week.

Solr doesn't support automatic failover of the master, at least in
1.4.1. I've been discussing with my colleague (Tommaso) about ways to
achieve this.

There's ways we could 'fake it', scripting the following:

 * set up a 'backup' master, as a replica of the actual master
 * monitor the master for 'up-ness'
 * if it fails:
   * tell the master to start indexing to the backup instead
   * tell the slave(s) to connect to a different master (the backup)
 * then, when the master is back:
   * wipe its index (backing up dir first?)
   * configure it to be a backup of the new master
   * make it pull a fresh index over

But, Jan Høydahl suggested using SolrCloud. I'm going to follow up on
how that might work in that thread.

Upayavira