Hi,

I am looking into using a multi core configuration to allow us to
fully rebuild our index while still applying updates.

I have two cores main-core and rebuild-core. I push the whole dataset
into the rebuild core, during which time I can happily keep pushing
updates into the main-core. Once the rebuild is complete I swap the
cores and delete *:* from the rebuild core.

This works fine however there are a couple of edge cases:

On server restart solr needs to remember which core has been swapped
in to be the main core, this can be solved by adding the
persistent=true attribute to the solr config, however this does
require the solr.xml to be writeable.

While deploying a new version of our application we overwrite the
solr.xml, as the new version could potentially have legitimate changes
to the solr.xml that need to be rolled out, again leaving the cores
out of sync.

My proposed solution is to have the indexing process do some sanity
checking at the start of each run, and swap in the correct core if
necessary.

This works however there is the potential for the slaves to start
replicating the empty index before the correct index is swapped in.

To get round this problem I would like to have replication disabled on start up.

Removing  replicateAfter=startup has this affect but it would be more
future proof to be able to specify a default for the
replicationEnabled field (see SOLR-1175) in the ReplcationHandler,
stopping replication until I explicitly turn it on.

The change looks fairly simple.

What do you think?

Francis
Visit guardian.co.uk - newspaper website of the year
www.guardian.co.uk  www.observer.co.uk

To save up to 33% when you subscribe to the Guardian and the Observer
visit http://www.guardian.co.uk/subscriber

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164