Thanks Lance.

I will be generating the COMB style of UUID external to Solr.
Prevents a lot of index paging during INSERTS on DBs, maby eSolr too.

So I would not use 'NEW' in the following, right?
Just leave default out?
Some sort of NOT NULL available in a Solr Schema?

<field name="id" type="uuid" indexed="true" stored="true" default="NEW"/>
PHP code to make the COMB style of UUID,
easily adapted to other languages, some solutions already exist:

<code>
//requires php5_uuid module in PHP
function make_comb_uuid(){
      uuid_create(&$v4);
      uuid_make($v4, UUID_MAKE_V4);
      uuid_export($v4, UUID_FMT_STR, &$v4String);
      $var=gettimeofday();
      return
substr($v4String,0,24).substr(dechex($var['sec'].$var['usec']),0,12);

}

</code>

Dennis Gearon