What if you put in a default value for the group_id field in the solr schema -
would that work for you?  e.g. something like 'unknown'  Then you'll get all
those with no original group_id value still grouped together, and you can
figure out at display time what you want to do with them.

Bob Sandiford | Lead Software Engineer | SirsiDynix
P: 800.288.8020 X6943 | bob.sandif...@sirsidynix.com
www.sirsidynix.com