I have a couple of questions regarding Solr usage:

   1. Certain requests can be sent to different paths (handlers?). For
      example, the MoreLikeThis component can being sent to either
      /select or /mlt.

I have found these two links in the Solr wiki:

http://localhost:8983/solr/mlt?q=id:UTF8TEST&mlt.fl=manu,cat&mlt.mindf=1&mlt.mintf=1&mlt.match.include=false
<http://localhost:8983/solr/mlt?q=id:UTF8TEST&mlt.fl=manu,cat&mlt.mindf=1&mlt.mintf=1&mlt.match.include=false>

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=apache&mlt=true&mlt.fl=manu,cat&mlt.mindf=1&mlt.mintf=1&fl=id,score
<http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=apache&mlt=true&mlt.fl=manu,cat&mlt.mindf=1&mlt.mintf=1&fl=id,score>

What is the reasoning behind this setup? If I decide to send my
MoreLikeThis requests to /mlt does this mean I can not utilize any
/select specific calls - if there is even such a thing - such as facets
- ? If not, can a /select path can be configured to handle all requests
from Spellcheck to Clustering?

   1. How do you escape double character special strings (&&, ||) in Lucene?

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_1/queryparsersyntax.html#Escaping+Special+Characters

Do I escape the first character only (\&&) or do I escape both? And when
do I need to escape them? A couple of tests that I performed on the
example server provided in the Solr package were inconclusive:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=manu:%22apple%20%26%26%22%20AND%20manu:%22computer%22

Still returns results,