----- Original Message ----

From: lee carroll <lee.a.carr...@googlemail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 6:48:12 AM
Subject: Re: How to let crawlers in, but prevent their damage?

Sorry not an answer but a +1 vote for finding out best practice for this.

Related to it is DOS attacks. We have rewrite rules  in between the proxy
server and solr which attempts to filter out undesriable stuff but would it
be better to have a query app doing this?

any standard rewrite rules which drop invalid or potentially malicious
queries would be very nice :-

What exactly are milicious queries? (besides scraping) What's the problem with
invalid queries? Unless someone is doing a custom crawl/scraping of your site,
how are they going to issue queries that aren't alread on the site as URLs?