Hi Steve,

----- Original Message ----
> From: Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
> Subject: RE: Not storing, but highlighting from document sentences
>
> I think you can get what you want by doing the first stage  retrieval, and
> then
>in the second stage, add required constraint(s) to the query  for the matching
>docid(s), and change the AND operators in the original query to  OR.
>Coordination will cause the best snippet(s) to rise to the top,  no?

Right, right.
So if the original query is: foo AND bar, I'd run it against the main index,
get
top N hits, say N=10.
Then I'd create another query: +(foo OR bar) +articleID:(ORed list of top N
article IDs from main results)
And then I'd use that to get enough "sentence docs" to have at least 1 of them
for each hit from the main index.

Hm, I wonder what happens when instead of simple foo AND bar you have a more
complex query with more elaborate grouping and such...

> Hmm, you'll want to run the second stage once for each hit from the  first
>stage, though, unless you can afford to collect *all* hits and pull out  each
>first stage's hit from the intermixed second stage  results...

Wouldn't the above get me all sentences I need for top N hits from the main
result in a single shot, assuming I use high enough rows=NNN to minimize the
possibility of not getting even 1 sentence for any one of those top N hits?

Thanks,
Otis
----