A/ You have to update all the fields, if you leave one off, it won't be in
the document anymore. I have my 'persisted' data stored outside of Solr, so
on update I get the stored data, modify it and update Solr with every field
(even if one changed). You could also do a Query/Modify/Update directly in
Solr, just remember to send all fields in the update. There isn't (in 1.4
anyway) a way to update specific fields only.

B/ When you update, it is my understanding that, yes, the old doc is there
deleted and a new doc is in place. You can't get to the old one however and
it will go away at the next Optimize. I've never used it, but when you
Commit you can send an optional parameter 'expungeDeletes' that should
remove deleted docs as well.

C/ Not that I'm aware of

D/ <don't know>

E/ That is my understanding, but I'm admittedly a little weak on that part.
I just have a job that runs in the middle of the night and runs Optimize
once each night, I don't dig deeper than that into what goes on.