In some cases my search takes too long. Now I want to show user partial
matches if its taking too long.

The problem with timeAllowed is that lets say I set its value to 10 secs
then for some queries it would be fine and will at least return few hundred
rows but in really worse scenarios it might not even return few records in
that time (even 0 is highly possible) so the user would think nothing
matched though there were many matches.

Telling SOLR to return first 20/50 records would ensure that it will at
least return user the first page even if it takes more time.

--
Regards,

Salman Akram
Senior Software Engineer - Tech Lead
80-A, Abu Bakar Block, Garden Town, Pakistan
Cell: +92-321-4391210