You only need so much for Solr so it can do its thing. Faceting can take quite
some memory on a large index but sorting can be a really big RAM consumer.

As Erick pointed out, inspect and tune the cache settings and adjust RAM
allocated to the JVM if required. Using tools like JConsole you can monitor
various things via JMX including RAM consumption.