From: Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject: Re: performance during index switch
To: "solr-user@lucene.apache.org" <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 11:30 AM

During commit?

A commit (and especially an optimize) can be expensive in terms of both CPU and
RAM as your index grows larger, leaving less CPU for querying, and possibly
less RAM which can cause Java GC slowdowns in some cases.

A common suggestion is to use Solr replication to seperate out a Solr index
that you index to, and then replicate to a slave index that actually serves
your queries. This should minimize any performance problems on your 'live' Solr
while indexing, although there's still something that has to be done for the
actual replication of course. Haven't tried it yet myself.  Plan to -- my plan
is actually to put them both on the same server (I've only got one), but in
seperate JVMs, and on a server with enough CPU cores that hopefully the
indexing won't steal CPU the querying needs.