I just came across a ~nudge post over in the SIS list on what the status is for
that project. This got me looking more in to spatial mods with Solr4.0.  I
found this enhancement in Jira.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2155. In this issue, David mentions
that he's already integrated JTS in to Solr4.0 for querying on polygons stored
as WKT.

It's relatively easy to get WKT strings in to Solr but does the Field type
exist yet? Is there a patch or something that I can test out?

Here's how I would do it using GDAL/OGR and the already existing csv update
handler. http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html

ogr2ogr -f CSV output.csv input.shp -lco GEOMETRY=AS_WKT
This converts a shapefile to a csv with the geometries in tact in the form of
WKT. You can then get the data in to Solr by running the following command.
curl
"http://localhost:8983/solr/update/csv?commit=true&separator=%2C&fieldnames=id,attr1,attr2,attr3,geom&stream.file=C:\tmp\output.csv&overwrite=true&stream.contentType=text/plain;charset=utf-8";
There are lots of flavors of geometries so I suspect that this will be a
daunting task but because JTS recognizes each geometry type it should be
possible to work with them.
Does anyone know of a patch or even when this functionality might be included
in to Solr4.0? I need to query for polygons ;-)
Thanks,
Adam