I have a data set indexed over two irons, with M docs per Solr core for a
total of N cores.

If I perform a query across all N cores with start=0 and rows=30, I get,
say, numFound=27521).  If I simply change the start param to start=27510
(simulating being on the last page of data), I get a smaller result set
(say, numFound=21415).

I had expected numFound to be the same in either case, since no other aspect
of the query had changed.  Am I mistaken?

I'm using Solr 1.4.1.955763M.  Faceting is enabled on the query. All cores
have the same schema.

Thanks!