From: Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thu, February 10, 2011 5:08:44 PM
Subject: Re: running optimize on master

Optimizing isn't necessary in your scenario, as you don't delete
documents and rebuild the whole thing each time anyway.

As for faster searches, this has been largely been made obsolete
by recent changes in how indexes are built in the first place. Especially
as you can build your index in an hour, it's likely not big enough to
benefit from optimizing even under the old scenario....

So, unless you have some evidence that your queries are performing
poorly, I would just leave the optimize step off.

Best
Erick