What distro are you using? On at least Debian systems you can put the -
Dsolr.clustering.enabled=true environment variable in /etc/default/tomcat6.

You can also, of course, remove all occurences of ${solr.clustering.enabled}
from you solrconfig.xml

--
Markus Jelsma - CTO - Openindex
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markus17