: to our indexing service are defined in a central interface.   Here is an
: example of a query executed from a programmatically constructed Lucene
: query.
: solrQuery.setQuery(query.toString());

first of all, be advised that Query.toString() is not garunteed to produce
a string that the Lucene QueryParser can parse back into a real query.  If
you are programaticly building up a Lucene query just to format it back as
a string, you should probably consider just programaticly building up the
Solr query string.

Second: you should also consider the fact that there may be better ways to
express your query to solr that are more efficient, or do what you want
more then what you had before (ie: some of those MUST clauses you had
probably are ment to act as "filters", which don't need to influence the
scores, and are most likely reused on many queries -- in which case
specifying them using "fq" instead of "q" is going to make things
simpler/faster and give you better relevancy scores on your real user
input.

: How can I set the sort into the java client?

Did you look at the "SolrQuery.addSortField" method?

: Also, with the annotations of Pojo's outlined here.
: How are sets handled?  For instance, how are Lists of other POJO's added to
: the document?

i had no idea, but a google serach for "solrj annotation beans" lead me...
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Does-SolrJ-support-nested-annotated-beans-td868375.html
  ...and then to...

-Hoss