If the dictionary is a Lucene index, wouldn't it be as simple as delete
using a term query? Something like this:

IndexReader sdreader = new IndexReader();
sdreader.delete(new Term("word", "sherri"));
sdreader.optimize();
sdreader.close();

I am guessing your dictionary is built dynamically using content words.
If so, you may want to run the words through an aspell like filter
(jazzy.sf.net is a Java implementation of aspell that works quite well
with single words) to determine if more of these should be removed, and
whether they should be added in the first place.

-sujit