This sounds like a great idea but rarely works out. Garbage collection
has to work around the data stored in memory, and most of the data you
want to hit frequently is in the indexed and cached. The operating
system is very smart about keeping the popular parts of the index in
memory, and there is no garbage collection there.

I do not know if the RAMDirectoryFactory in current development has
disk-backed persistence.

--
Lance Norskog
goks...@gmail.com