Yes, we're investigating dismax (with the qf param), but we're not sure it
supports our syntax needs.  The users want to put put AND/OR/NOT in their
queries, and we don't want to write a lot of code converting those queries
into dismax (+/-/mm) format.  So, until 3.1 (edismax) ships, we're also
trying to get boolean queries to work across multiple fields with the
standard query handler.

I've seen quite a few unanswered or partially-answered posts on this list on
getting boolean syntax right.  I can tell it's a thorny issue.