Bill,

I think all of the improvements can be made, however they are fairly
large structural changes that would require perhaps several patches.
The other issue is we'll likely land RT this year (or next) and then
the cached values need to be appended to as the documents are added,
that and they'll be across several DWPTs (see LUCENE-2324).  So one
could easily do work for per-segment caching, and then need to go back
and do per-segment, append caches.  I'm not sure caching is needed at
all, especially with the recent speed improvements, except for facets
which resemble field caches, and probably should be subsumed there.

Jason